31 Aug Flatlay Workshop with Tjasha at Alserkal Avenue
Dubai, UAE. It’s official! We launched our first workshop at Alserkal Avenue featuring our lovely queen of flatlays, Tjasha (You can see her fab phtography here). Tjasha is a renowned expert in flatlays and minimalist photography. Her recent collaborations include Apple, Ikea Middle East, Bobbi Brown and Home Centre. We just adore her work and we were truly excited to have her as a speaker. It was a morning full of tips and networking, just the
The workshop was held at Nadi Al Quoz in Alserkal Avenue. Alserkal Avenue is located in the industrial district of Dubai making it one of the favorite venues for Instagrammers. It is home to art galleries, cozy cafes and museums that bring together content creators from diverse artistic disciplines encouraging open dialogue, creative ideas and just a collective vibe to the whole ambiance. This particular spot, Nadi Al Quoz, it’s super special as it has a touch of minimalism and soft colors all around making it one of the best venues to get Instagrammers together in the city.
The morning started with coffee sponsored by Wild and The Moon and a networking exercise to break the ice. We called it “Bloggers’ Speed Dating” as the bloggers had to explain what their blog is about and a bit about themselves in 30 seconds so they can switch to the next blogger.
After we were done with meeting everyone, we moved on to our talk with the wonderful Tjasha. She introduced herself and told our members about her journey in the world of influencers. She started creating flatlays as a hobbie and she never imagined it would become her part-time job. She shared the idea of using nature and inexpensive items as props for flatlays
“You don’t need to buy the most expensive stuff to make your photos beautiful. I use greeting cards, free magazine covers and flowers to decorate them. They key factors to make your flatlay stand out are composition and editing”
Mentioned Tjasha while holding examples of props that she use to style her photography.
She also mentioned the importance of keeping it real in the world of influencers. While growing an Instagram account and landing big projects with global brands it’s a great experience, she emphasized on the fact of staying humble no matter how “big you become on Instagram” With almost 60K followers on her account and great levels of engagement, we felt totally inspired her advice and insights.
After the talk was over, Tjasha asked the gals to grab props and start creating flatlays with composition tips that she provided. Our props table was sponsored by Typo so the gals got the chance to choose as many props as they wanted to create their beautiful flatlays. One thing that we loved the most about the evening was how Tjasha took time to check each and every single flatlay created and mentored the gals to guide them on their composition.
What we learn from this workshop:
- Lighting it’s your best friend: Always try to take pictures close to a window or in a place where lighting is soft and not so harsh.
- Composition, composition! It’s all about how you place your items. Keep your lines clean and check the symmetry on both sides of the frame. Use the grid on your phone to set the items in the right place.
- Choose your editing style: We all use different filters and levels of exposure/contrast to use in our Instagram photography. Don’t let others dictate yours, explore colors and tones, be creative! This is a space for you to express yourself not to follow tight guidelines. Apps that we recommend: VSCO, Lightroom, Facetune.
- Don’t forget to tag your props: Tag the brands that you used to style your flatlay. You never know! The brand might feature your content which might drive traffic to your Instagram or blog.
- Keep it real and always bring others with you: Our favorite lesson of the day. While it’s great to grow and become successful on Instagram, the path to fulfilling success is when you share what you learned with others.
If you would like to join us on our next workshop, please subscribe to our Membership Launch link by clicking here. We can’t wait to meet you!
Stay cool blogger gals!